Friday, July 18, 2008

Does God Speak To Us??

I just received this email from a friend, and although I have seen it before it still brings tears to my eyes. God does speak to us, do we listen? I had always wanted a daughter growing up, I would name her Morgan after my maiden name, but strangley after the birth of my two boys the desire was gone, I became content with our family of four. God had another plan though, he had spoken to my husbands heart and he was listening, thank you Honey. It was a few years later, never dreaming my daughter would come as I was reaching 40, but what a blessing we have received from "listening to God"!! Oh by the way she was just a "Lily" from the start.


"A young man had been to Wednesday Night Bible Study. The Pastor had shared about listening to God and obeying the Lord's voice. The young man couldn't help but wonder, 'Does God still speak to people?' After service, he went out with some friends for coffee and pie and they discussed the message. Several different ones talked about how God had led them in different ways. It was about ten o'clock when the young man started driving home. Sitting in his car, he just began to pray, 'God...If you still speak to people, speak to me. I will listen. I will do my best to obey.' As he drove down the main street of his town, he had the strangest
thought to stop and buy a gallon of milk. He shook his head and said out loud, 'God is that you?' He didn't get a reply and started on toward home. But again, the thought, buy a gallon of milk. The young man thought about Samuel and how he didn't recognize the voice of God, and how little Samuel ran to Eli. 'Okay, God, in case that is you, I will buy the milk.' It didn't seem like too hard a test of obedience. He could always use the milk. He stopped and purchased the gallon of milk and started off toward home. As he passed Seventh Street, he again felt the urge, 'Turn Down that street.' This is crazy he thought, and drove on past the intersection. gain, he felt that he should turn down Seventh Street. At the next intersection, he turned back and headed down Seventh. Half jokingly, he said out loud, 'Okay, God, I will.' He drove several blocks, when suddenly, he felt like he should stop He pulled over to the curb and looked around. He was in a semi-commercial area of town. It wasn't the best but it wasn't the worst of neighborhoods either. The businesses were closed and most of the houses looked dark like the people were already in bed. Again, he sensed something, 'Go and give t he milk to the people in the house across the street.' The young man looked at the house. It was dark and it looked like the people were either gone or they were already asleep. He started to open the door and then sat back in the car seat. 'Lord, this is insane. Those people are asleep and if I wake them up, they are going to be mad and I will look stupid.' Again, he felt like he should go and give the milk. Finally, he opened the door, 'Okay God, if this is you, I will go tothe door and I will give them the milk. If you want me to look like a crazy person, okay. I want to be obedient. I guess that will count for something, but if they don't answer right away, I am out of here.' He walked across the street and rang the bell. He could hear some noise inside. A man's voice yelled out, 'Who is it? What do you want?' Then the door opened before the young man could get away. The man was standing there in his jeans and T-shirt. He looked like he just got out of bed. He had a strange look on his face and he didn't seem too happy to have some stranger standing on his doorstep. 'What is it?' The young man thrust out the gallon of milk, 'Here, I brought this to you.' The man took the milk and rushed down a hallway. Then from down the hall came a woman carrying the milk toward the kitchen. The man was following her holding a baby. The baby was crying. The man had tears streaming down his face. The man began speaking and half crying, 'We were just praying. We had some big bills this month and we ran out of money. We didn't have any milk for our baby. I was just praying and asking God to show me how to get some milk.' His wife in the kitchen yelled out, 'I ask him to send an Angel with some. Are you an Angel?' The young man reached into his wallet and pulled out all the money he had on him and put in the man's hand. He turned and walked back toward his car and the tears were streaming down his face. He knew that God still answers prayers."

11 comments:

Kimmie said...

Hi Amy;

Thank you for sharing this...it has blessed my heart in a big way. You see, I am struggling about what to do with my blog...I feel God opened it to minister to people, but after my recent 2 week break and seeking to hear more from God...I am struggling with what God wants me to do.

I shared it with one of my face to face blogging friends, she encouraged me to share how God speaks to me. Then another person came up to me and shared how my life has been a godly influence to them, as to how I hear God and follow Him...this is just another reminder of what God wants me to share. He wants people to come to Him, to follow Him and to listen to His still small voice. Thanks Amy, my heart is feeling lighter already.

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

Jewels of My Heart said...

Oh, My Goodness.... you made me cry.
Your Lily is so beautiful and how precious that the Lord brought her home to you.
I am going to email you but Lynn contacted me to let me know she never received your address to send you the books you paid for for the auction One Child At A Time.
I am so very sorry! I am certain I sent her your address but it must have gotten lost in cyber space.
So, If you can email me your address I will get it to her and she will get your books to you.
So sorry it has taken so long and thank you for sharing that beautiful story.
God Bless YOu,
Daleea

jewelsofmyheart@yahoo.com

Louanne said...

Amy - thanks for sharing this. I believe that God does speak to us and can point out many examples in my life and the lives of others.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

What a special story...yes he does speak to us in many ways, each and every day!!!

Just saw your note on my blog...glad you liked the recipe!

Love the new look of your blog:)


Lisa

Ashley Winters said...

Your post was beautiful. Thanks for reminding us about the precious gifts God chooses just for us in his own perfect timing.

Becky said...

That was a beautiful post that really makes you think. Thank you for sharing.

Shawnstribe said...

Amy thank you for that reminder. . .
i believe He spoke to me today as i was scrubbing my stove...it wasnt easy ; ( on the lines of you have to put right your behaviour towards a friend...you have upset her...
and i rang...and yes i had!!!
He brings correction and i love it, even though its soooo hard; )
xxx
s

redmaryjanes said...

Beautiful post.

I can tell you that God still talks to people. He talks to me in ways that make it very clear what he wants of me.
And there are still miracles in this day and age. I have seen them. Miracles working through these blogs.

Chasing Dreams Photography said...

Wow that is powerful thank you for posting this. I ask God all the time to guide me to let me know what is it I am supposed to do. I know he listens : ) My adoption story was truly an act of God. One day I will post it. It is a true red thread story.

Michelle R Photography said...

I, too, had read this before but such a great one to read again. I know that God speaks to us.

Thanks for stopping by and saying hello. Lily is just adorable!!

Allie, Katie and Harper's Mom said...

Thank you for this post!! It was
so uplifting!! I agree that God
does speak to us!!! He does to
me very often anymore!!

Have a wonderful week!

I'm so pleased to say your
package will be off this week!
Now that's a blessing!!!

Hugs,

Sindy